Friday, October 07, 2005

Singin' in the rain

Don't believe the hype. If New Yorkers are scared on the heels of the latest "credible" terrorist threat--this time in the subways--they're sure doing a good job of hiding it.

All around Lower Manhattan it was business as usual today under graying skies. Well-dressed workers on cigarette breaks chatted outside office buildings. Helmeted police in Kevlar vests joked with Wall-Street runners. Tourists flocked around the bronze bull by Bowling Green. Newspaper vendors did brisk business. The front-page headline for the New York Post read, "SUBWAY BOMB PLOT, over the subhead, "19 attackers sent to city: Qaeda thugs."

And yet thousands of people rode the subways to work, just like they do every other weekday. Mayor Bloomberg did the same, doing his civic duty to allay any concerns. But as far as I could see, this is a town without fear. We've seen firsthand what the "Qaeda thugs" can do, but we won't let them win, not even the psychological war. The mayor could just as well have ridden his bike or taken the limo. Few would have complained, while millions more wouldn't have given it a second thought. God, I love this place.

Yes, I'm still listening to and digging Paul McCartney's latest, "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard." People who told me I'm nuts in my praise called days later to say, "I gave it another listen. It's great!" The album is definitely a grower. So if at first you're not hooked, try-try again. You'll be glad you did.

I actually had the pleasure of seeing McCartney perform live Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden. Anyone who thinks they're getting old and in the way should do themselves a favor and catch a Macca show. It'll cost you, and I have a problem with that. I mean, come on, Paul, you have more money than 99.9% of everyone else on the planet!

But it's all about demand, and if the Stones can command 400 bucks for the best seats, Paul can charge 279 (50 for nose bleeders). I paid, and gladly so. At 63, the man, jowls and all, displays more raw energy than lads half his age. He plays two and a half hours, switching from bass to electric guitar to piano to acoustic guitar, breezing through "Magical Mystery Tour," "Jet," "Drive My Car," "I Will," "For No One," "Blackbird," "Fixing a Hole," "I'll Follow the Sun," "Helter Skelter" (that's right, "Helter Skelter"), tunes from 'Chaos', and many others. No single human deserves to be blessed with that much talent. And yet, there you have it. A great, inspiring show.

And that's all she wrote, for now. I'm back, if only on a fairly semi-regular basis. But I'm back. And it's good to be alive in New York City these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home