Tuesday, March 29, 2005

At long last, I'm back!

There’s a big old goofy man
Dancing with a big old goofy girl
And ooh, baby
It’s a big old goofy world
–John Prine, “Big Old Goofy World”


It’s been so long since I’ve blogged, and so much has happened, that I don’t really know where to begin.

In the beginning Joe Bones moved to Lower Manhattan. I reckon that’s a good enough place to start.

I’m living in a very cool building. Historic. Twenty-four-hour doorman. A lobby that would take your breath away with its way-over-the-top Greco-Roman detail. And an apartment with 15-foot-high ceilings and a living room that’s the perfect size for an honest-to-God, fully equipped, working office. If the change in lifestyle doesn’t kill me, no doubt the rent increase will, or maybe the ladder to my just-erected loft bed. Have you ever tried climbing a ladder barefoot?

But I’ll have died with a smile on my face.

I also got that small business loan. Not as much as I was seeking, but it will float us for a few months as we build the business. Dear reader, I’m feeling very excited. And a wee bit scared.

For the first time in my life I’ve taken on an employee, a wunderkind who has been both incredibly resourceful and patient while I knocked on the doors of banks offering SBA-backed loans. She’ll have her first paycheck in hand before the ink dries on our newly issued business checks. Then it’s up to me to make this business work. Pressure? Forget about it. This is what I live for.

Until science or some gifted mystic can prove the saying wrong, you only live once. And it’s high time I lived this dream. (Now someone, wake me up!)

You’ll read more in the weeks to come, about all sorts of things I've been pondering in this big old goofy world. There’s much to write about. For now, know that Bones is back. Alive and kicking. And open for business.

PS: Although I've moved from Hell's Kitchen, the blog name will remain the same. Consider it a nod and a wink to a blind horse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home