Thursday, December 23, 2004

Mom's annual Christmas poem

I just received my mother's Christmas card, a poem she writes every year, in the mail today. The format is always the same: a white card with a small red ribbon. I'll share this one with my readers, a Christmas greeting from a member of the World War II generation:

Christmas Luster

"It ain't easy!" It's been so often said,
And as I grow older, these words, echo in my head.
I decide to write, all the pens are dry;
I want to laugh, all I do is cry!
Remembering is a blessing
But sometimes it's a curse-
It pulls at one's heartstrings,
Until they're ready to burst!

You want to tell the world-
"Look before you leap!"
But when it's time to say so,
You are fast asleep!
Each day you grow older-This you try to forget-
But the mirror on the wall reminds you
And then you start to fret!
Christmas is coming-how can I make it great?

But wait-

How can I make it great?
What a totally stupid thing to state!

It is He who makes it great!

He stands beside me now and I'm totally aware
The Luster of Christmas starts in one's heart
And reaches out from there

May Christ fill your heart with luster at Christmas
Coupled with good cheer
And may His love embrace you
All through the coming year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home