Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Yeah, yeah, so I'm on a 1920s kick

Life on the chain gang has been keeping old Joe Bones away from the Dispatch.

Let me tell ya, I'll be happy when things slow down a bit and I can find an hour or two to enlighten my readers with the latest flotsam and jetsam bobbing about my brain.

In the meantime, now that I know how to embed videos from YouTube, I figured I'd stay in the 1920s for a while and present you with a gem of a ditty that was first published in 1924, "I'll See You in My Dreams," written by Gus Kahn with music by Isham Jones.

I believe Cliff Edwards, aka "Ukulele Ike," was the first to have a hit with this ballad. The version you're about to see and hear is by Joe Brown, who closed out the tribute concert for George Harrison with this perfect rendition on the ukulele. Why end a George Harrison tribute concert with a song he didn't write? Well, George was a big fan of 1920s music and of the ukulele as well. That fast, vaudeville-style uke strumming you hear at the end of The Beatles' "Free as a Bird"? That's George.

Several years ago I saw Eric Idle of Monty Python fame perform in New York City as part of his "Greedy Bastard Tour." Reminiscing about his old friend, Idle said you couldn't visit the Harrison homestead without George pulling out his ukuleles and handing you one to play.

Anyway, if this song doesn't tug at your heartstrings, check your pulse.

Take it away, Joe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home